Monday, September 5, 2011

Day 8-Last Day!

Mom and I were really sad that this was our last day! I definitely could have stayed there for a couple more weeks.  But I guess all good things come to an end.

We wanted a low-key last day and we wanted to be able to shop a bit.  It was kind of perfect then that I had planned for us to go to Montmartre for our last day.  Right when we got off the metro there was a small French band playing music.  Montmartre is still part of Paris but it is far from the center and has more of a village feel.  It was so cute and quaint and had lots of not-too-expensive shopping.  The Sacre-Coeur and the Moulin Rouge are in this area but we didn't go to either.  We bought scarves and purses and some chocolate.  We window shopped for pies and cupcakes also.  Mom said this was her favorite part of Paris by far.





cheese shop



We got back to our hotel in the early afternoon and decided to split up.  Mom wanted to do more shopping of course so she went to the St. Germain area.  I first went to the Middle Ages museum which was just a few blocks away.


"Hey what's up?"
Me holding a medieval sword


I still had some time so I walked to the Luxembourg Gardens.  The Gardens are so close to our hotel but we hadn't had time to visit. I bought a soda from a French guy who wanted to chat about America.  When I told him I was american, he unbuttoned his shirt and pulled out a DVD of a movie with Elvis and Nancy Sinatra.  He asked if I knew who Elvis was.  Um...yes I do.  He told me I spoke good French which was nice, especially since I didn't feel like I was speaking very well.  We spoke for a few minutes and then I walked into the gardens with the Fanta I had bought.






Some of my favorite things in Paris are the gardens.  The Jardin des Tuileries, the Luxembourg Gardens, and the gardens in Versailles are all so breathtakingly beautiful.  There is such a relaxed and friendly atmosphere and the greenery is so well taken care of.  There are statues everywhere and people sit at a table below it with a drink.  If I could have stayed longer, I would have bought a book and garden-hopped.

For our last meal we took the metro out to the Trocadero area.  As our metro crossed the Seine a guy got on the train with his accordion and began to play for tips.  We were only a block from the Seine and the Eiffel Tower.  It had been hot all day but at dinner it began to pour!  It stopped when we left though, and we gazed at the Eiffel Tower and the park down below.


our first view of Paris after getting out of the metro


Our last activity in Paris was to take a Seine River cruise.  It was beautiful to see everything all lit up.  It was a little cold, but it was fun to see all the teenagers drinking on the riverbank.


on the boat cruise


We got home last night, so writing this blog right now makes me want to go back right now!  Oh well.  One day soon I'll go again.  Thanks for reading my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment